- 11 December, 2020
- 10.00-11.30 Bangkok time
- Angelo Melencio, Plan International
- Deepak Malik, HelpAge International
- Heng Aik Cheng, Mercy Malaysia
- Jermaine Balthazar Bayas, Oxfam
- Deanie lyn Ocampo, CODE Philippines
- Adelina Kamal, AHA Centre
- Tom Howells, Save the Children
- Keya Saha-Chaudhury, ICVA
A virtual, interactive panel discussion moderated by Ms Ilze Brands Kehris, Assistant Secretary-General for Human Rights, with civil society and UN representatives on strengthening the UN’s role in promoting and protecting civic space under the Secretary-General’s Call to Action for Human Rights and the UN Guidance Note on Civic Space
- Friday, 4 December 2020
- 10:00 to 11:30 AM (New York)
To Register: Click here
The event will feature:
- Volker Türk, Assistant Secretary-General for Strategic Coordination, Executive Office of the Secretary-General
- Åsa Regnér, Assistant Secretary-General, UN Women Siddharth Chatterjee, UN Resident Coordinator in Kenya
- Lysa John, Secretary General, CIVICUS
- Shirine Jurdi, MENA Regional Representative, Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom
- Lina Yismeray Gómez Navarro, Advocacy Coordinator, Dignidad y Justicia en el Camino AC
- Tuesday, 8 December 2020
- 10:30 -12.00 CEST
Live webcast: http://webtv.un.org/.
- Introduction by Ms. Tatiana Valovaya, Director-General of the United Nations Office
- Statement for the Day by Mr. António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations, read out by the Secretary-General’s representative, Director-General Ms. Tatiana Valovaya
- Representative of the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People
- Representative of the Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights of the Palestinian People and Other Arabs of the Occupied Territories
- Representative of the League of Arab States
- Representative of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation
- Representative of the Non-Aligned Movement
- Representative of the African Union
- Representative of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (TBC)
- Representative of the Non-Governmental Organizations accredited to the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People
- Representative of the State of Palestine
Messages: Announcement of messages or statements for the Day received from Heads of State or Government
This online event will feature a prominent panel of experts who help to provide evidence that debunks common and dangerous myths surrounding climate change and displacement.
This will be the first of two events that IDMC organises as lead-in to our 2021 Global Report on Internal Displacement, with a thematic focus on climate change and disaster displacement.
Moderator and opening remarks:
- Alexandra Bilak, Director of IDMC
- António Vitorino, Director General of the International Organization for Migration
- François Gemenne, Director of the Hugo Observatory and Lead Author of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
- Sonia Shah, Investigative Journalist and Author of “The Next Great Migration: The Beauty and Terror of Life on the Move”
- Prof. Rajib Shaw, Professor, Keio University, Japan and Ex-Chair of the United Nations Science Technology Advisory Group and IPCC Coordinating Lead Author
e common myths and provide a strong evidence base for policymakers.
Date / Time:
- 8 December 2020
- 11.00-13.00 CEST
Language: the event will be in Ukrainian and English with simultaneous interpretation.
- Opening remarks
- Presentation of the IDP Profiling Report and Key Findings
- Panel discussion 1: Bottom-up approach to durable solutions: how can the findings of the IDP Profiling be used at the regional and local levels?
- Panel Discussion 2: Durable solutions from IDPs in Ukraine from the national and regional policy perspecitves. What lessons from Luhanks IDP Profiling exercise can be replicable in other contexts?
- Closing remarks
- Thursday December 10, 2020
- 10.00-12.30 EAT | 08.00-10.30 GVA | 14.00-16-30 BKK
To register: Click here
Keynote speakers and presenters:
- H.E Rebecca Nyandeng, Vice President for Gender and Youth Cluster, Republic of South Sudan
- Ms. Cecilia Jimenez-Damary Special Rapporteur on the Human Rights of Internally Displaced Persons
- Ms. Maartje Hofs Senior Officer-West Africa, Search for Common Ground
- H.E Stephen Par Kuol Minister for Peacebuilding
- H.E Ayaa Benjamin Warille Minister for Gender, Child and Social Welfare
- Hon. Gatwech Peter Kulang Undersecretary, Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management
- H.E. Dr. Albino Bor, Minister for Youth and Sports
The webinar aims to build on the momentum attained in the implementation of the R-ARCSS to reinforce a rights-based approach in implementation of durable solutions by convening high-level government officials and experts, humanitarian, development and peacebuilding actors, donors, academia, National Human Rights organisations, Civil Society Organisations, and refugees and IDPs to examine how to advance participation of refugees, IDPs and returnees in the implementation of the R-ARCSS, and to explore solutions to challenges in the implementation.