The ICVA Regional Hub in Africa based in Nairobi, Kenya (previously based in Dakar, Senegal) was established in July 2013, following consultations held in September 2012 with national and international NGOs operating in the region. Since opening, the Hub has engaged widely with members and partners in line with the overall strategy based on the four areas: Forced Displacement, Humanitarian Coordination, Humanitarian Financing and Partnership.
The ICVA Africa Regional Hub works closely with members and NGO fora to:
- Strengthen the role of NGO Fora in regional and national-level humanitarian coordination and advocacy
- Facilitate ICVA members engagement with inter-governmental organisations and Member States in the region
- Link operational realities to global policies and practice
- Create opportunities for regional consultation and collective action on issues of common interest.
Mr Marco Rotelli, Regional Representative for Africa
Based in Nairobi, Kenya, Marco will focus on developing ICVA’s approach and platforms of engagement in the Africa region.
Mr Addis Tesfa, Deputy Regional Representative for Africa
Based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Addis supports the ICVA Africa team to pursue ICVA's overall strategy on forced displacement, humanitarian financing, coordination and partnership in the region.
This platform is for members to:
- Exchange information on regionally focused perspectives on the development of the humanitarian sector
- Increase understanding and share opportunities for engagement with diverse and key actors in the region
- Identify opportunities for engagement in regional or global advocacy initiatives.
Topics addressed include: the Grand Bargain, Global Compact on Refugees, IASC Regional Network, and regional engagement with diverse humanitarian actors.
To join the group contact the ICVA Africa Regional Representative.
Regional NGO Fora Workshop, 29-30 November, 2016
ICVA Africa convened a workshop in Dakar, Senegal on 29-30 November 2016,for NGO fora active across West, Central and East Africa. This meeting was the last of a series of three, consulting with NGO fora to build a support programme. The workshop provided space for NGO fora to interact amongst peers, sharing experiences and concerns. During the second day of the workshop, two sessions were organized between NGO fora and donors (Regional Representatives of ECHO and OFDA) and with OCHA Regional Office Representative. Unfortunately, not all NGO fora that were invited to the workshop were able to attend: logistics and particularly flight connection remain of great concern in West Africa. However, the discussion amongst participants was dynamic and fruitful. A simultaneous translation (from French to English and vice-versa) was provided throughout the two days to enable all participants to attend and contribute.
Email: marco.rotelli (at) icvanetwork.org or addis.tesfa (at) icvanetwork.org