The “nexus” explained: How and when do humanitarian, development and peace action come together?
On 12 April, the first session of the new learning stream on the humanitarian-development-peace nexus, jointly organized by ICVA and PHAP was held. The event explored the concept of the "triple nexus" and how nexus thinking is influencing policy discussions at the local, country, and global level. Watch the recording below.
Director, Humanitarian Policy and Advocacy, Humanitarian and Emergency Affairs (HEA)
World Vision International
UN Resident Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative, Senegal
Humanitarian Affairs Adviser - Emergency Gap project, Médecins Sans Frontières
Director of Policy at ICVA
Executive Director at PHAP
- De Castellarnau, M. and Stoianova, V., "Bridging the emergency gap: Reflections and a call for action after a two-year exploration of emergency response in acute conflicts", Emergency Gap Project, Médecins Sans Frontières, Barcelona, April 2018
- ICVA, "The “New Way of Working” Examined: An ICVA Briefing Paper," International Council of Voluntary Agencies (ICVA), September 2017.
- Hugo Slim, "Nexus thinking in humanitarian policy: How does everything fit together on the ground?," Keynote address to the World Food Programme (WFP) Annual Partnership Consultations, 25 October 2017.
- ICVA & PHAP, Topic Five – The New Way of Working: What is it? What does it mean for NGOs?, ICVA-PHAP Learning Stream on Humanitarian Coordination, webinar recording on YouTube, 5 October 2017.
- O’Brien S., Rising humanitarian needs call for a new way of working, Portland Communication, March 2017.
- OCHA, “Commitment to Action: Transcending Humanitarian – Development Divides”, Agenda for Humanity, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), 2016.
- Report of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, “Repositioning the United Nations development system to deliver on the 2030 Agenda: ensuring a better future for all.” General Assembly Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), July 2017.
- Community of Practice: Humanitarian Principles in Practice
As part of the learning stream on the humanitarian-development-peace nexus, this event will be the first session of six live interactive online learning events that ICVA and PHAP will be organizing in the coming months. The purpose of these sessions is to provide NGOs and aid workers with a stronger understanding of the efforts to overcome the divide between the humanitarian, development, and – when appropriate – peace communities.