Humanitarian work is in most cases carried out in insecure environments and situations, making it critical for organisations to be able to identify and manage security risks affecting their operations. ICVA-PHAP webinar held in Novemebr 2019 "Risky Business: Reframing the fundamentals of risk management for humanitarians", highlights the basics on risk management.
Although Security Risk Management (SRM) in the humanitarian sector has increasingly gained the attention of policy makers and practitioners, the current COVID-19 crisis highlights challenges in how to apply risk management, including in terms of duty of care. Delivering humanitarian aid under COVID-19 restrictions has also underlined the critical role of local actors and the importance to discuss risk transfer and risk sharing between international, national, and local humanitarian actors.
On 3 June, ICVA and PHAP will organise the first webinar in the new Learning Stream on Risk Management in Practice, aimed at exploring the current state of risk management in the humanitarian sector. In this webinar, we will look at the key findings from a new briefing paper from ICVA and researchers from the Graduate Institute on security risk management in humanitarian organisations and frame them around the challenges that the current COVID-19 crisis presents to the humanitarian sector. We will hear from practitioners and experts about the current SRM challenges and solutions in their organisations, including risk transfer, risk sharing, and challenges related to duty of care.
Time and date: 3 June 2020, 15:00 – 16:30 CEST (Geneva)
Length: 90 minutes
Event objective/focus: To unpack security risk management and linked issues of duty-of-care in humanitarian programming from the perspective of INGOs, local and national NGOs, Donors and UN agencies, framed around the mounting challenges presented by COVID-19 response.
Target audience: All practitioners interested in security risk management and humanitarian policy issues, particularly NGO staff.
Executive Director, Global Interagency Security Forum (GISF)
Chief Executive Officer, Foundation for Rural Development (FRD)
Geneva Representative, Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Senior Security Officer, United Nations World Food Programme (WFP)
Executive Director, PHAP
Head of Humanitarian Financing, ICVA
- ICVA briefing paper: Security Risk Management May 2020
- ICVA briefing paper: Risk and Humanitarian Culture January 2020
- ICVA’s and Graduate Institute of Geneva research paper on SRM processes and their link to how organizations handle risk
- ICVA Call on Protecting humanitarian workers against COVID-19, May 2020
- ICVA’s 2020 Annual Conference “Protecting principled humanitarian action: an honest conversation on risk”, 19 March 2020
- ICVA’s briefing paper “Reinforce, Reinforce, Reinforce: Localisation in the COVID-19 Global Humanitarian Response” 30 March 2020
ICVA’s Risk Management resource page
Global Inter-agency Security Forum (GISF) website
- InterAction, Resources on NGO Risk Management