On 18 December we celebrate International Migrants’ Day. On this occasion, UN Human Rights will launch #StandUp4Migrants – a campaign and online toolbox on how to change the way we speak about migrants and migration.
UN Human Rights hopes you will all join us to stand up for the human rights of migrants and tell a new story, one that paints a hopeful picture of the future we share.
The campaign will illustrate ways in which everyone can contribute to narrative change and elevate the voices of migrants, the communities that welcome them and those who defend their rights. The toolbox offers a step-by-step guide with information, practical activities and inspirational examples on how to shift harmful narratives on migration.
We would also like to extend our heartfelt thanks to all of you that have contributed to the development of this toolbox, for your generous time and sharing your knowledge and experience with us over the past years.
We hope that together, we will be able to encourage and empower more people to stand up for migrants’ human rights with greater impact.
Campaign website: https://www.standup4humanrights.org/migration/en/
UN Human Rights will feature a range of video and web stories of migrants and those who stand up for their human rights.
- Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to listen to the stories and share them using the hashtag #StandUp4Migrants.
- Do you have any stories about migrants and migration that inspire hope and positive action? Share them with us using the hashtag #StandUp4Migrants.
Toolbox website: https://www.standup4humanrights.org/migration/en/toolbox.html
The steps on our website provide ideas on how to move away from harmful narratives on migration. Find more information, activities and examples in the downloadable PDFs.
- Check out our toolbox and share it with your friends and networks.
- Share your examples of how you are changing the way we speak about migrants and migration using #StandUp4Migrants.
#StandUp4Migrants – telling more hopeful stories on migration
UN Human Rights in the field, such as the Regional Offices for Europe, South-East Asia, and Country Office in Mexico will be celebrating with us and sharing stories of local connections and of migrants and those who stand up for their rights.
- Follow UN Human Rights field offices and share the stories
#StandUp4Migrants in 2021:
UN Human Rights will continue running #StandUp4Migrants throughout 2021. We look forward to collaborating with you and building partnerships to amplify the volume of hope-and values-based narratives and to achieve greater impact together.
- Keep following our campaign website and social media channels for new content.
- Use the ideas and activities in the toolbox in your work on migration. Share your experiences with us, we’d love to receive your feedback.
- Are you enthusiastic about narrative change work on migration? Get in touch with us, we’d love to hear more about your plans and possibilities for partnership.
- Build stories of “us” and continue standing up for migrants.