On 19 September 2016, at the UN Summit on Addressing Large Scale Movements of Refugees and Migrants, 193 Member States unanimously adopted the New York Declaration, a common plan for addressing large scale movements of refugees and migrants. The Declaration highlights the elements of a Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF) and requests UNHCR to engage with States and other stakeholders in its implementation with a view to inform the development of a Global Compact on Refugees to be adopted in 2018.
As NGOs are key partners and crucial to the execution of UNHCR’s mandate, in the post-19 September era ICVA has taken a lead role in advocating for more strategic and sustained NGO engagement. Meaningful consultation and coordination – globally and at the field level – with NGOs is fundamental for a successful application of the CRRF and to develop a Global Compact on Refugee that brings concrete improvements in the daily experience of refugees.
The Global Compact on Refugees Explained: an ICVA Briefing Paper
Global Refugee Compact Formal Consultations
First formal consultations towards the Global Compact on Refugees, held in Geneva from 13-14 February 2018 - NGO Statements
Second formal consultations towards the Global Compact on Refugees, held in Geneva from 20-21 March 2018 - NGO Statements
Third formal consultations towards the Global Compact on Refugess, held in Geveva from 10-11 April 2018 - NGO Statements
Timelines for main opportunities for NGO engagements towards the Refugee Compact
NGO statements at the formal consultations "Towards a global compact on refugees"
ICVA remarks on the CRRF at the ECOSOC HAS side event on the "CRRF- potentially a game changer in large scale and protracted refugee situations" on 22 June 2017.
- CRRF-GCR NGOs Strategic Meeting 7 November 2017: ICVA's Notes
- UNHCR Briefing on Global Compact on Refugees June 2017: ICVA's Notes
- UNHCR Briefing on Global Compact on Refugees April 2017
- CRRF/GCR NGOs strategic meeting 4 April 2017
- NGO Statement on CRRF at the 68th UNHCR Standing Committee meeting March 2017
- Visualization of the NY Declaration and FAQs are available here: http://www.unhcr.org/new-york-declaration-for-refugees-and-migrants.html
- Article by Volker Türk on “Prospects for Responsibility Sharing in the Refugee Context” published in September 2016 in the Journal on Migration and Human Security: http://jmhs.cmsny.org/index.php/jmhs/article/view/61
- Article by Volker Türk and Madeline Garlick on “From Burdens and Responsibilities to Opportunities: The Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework and a Global Compact on Refugees” published in December 2016 in the International Journal of Refugee Law: http://m.ijrl.oxfordjournals.org/content/28/4/656
- Video of the 18 November 2016 inaugural address on ‘The New Global Compact on Refugees’ by Volker Türk at the Andrew & Renata Kaldor Centre for International Refugee Law (UNSW): http://www.kaldorcentre.unsw.edu.au/news/inaugural-address-international-protection-refugees-presented-unhcrs-assistant-high